1. in a heavy based sauce pan heat oil, fry off onion, garlic on a medium heat, until onion becomes transparent
2. Add beef and brown off
3. Add carrots and stock, bring to boil
4. Turn down to a constant simmer, place on lid.
5. Cook on simmer (checking every so often and giving a stir) for approx 1 1/2 hours (or more if you like your meat really tender)
6. Add in 5 bean mix and green bean.
7. Cook with lid off for another 20 mins stirring occasionally, until stock has reduced down to barely cover the other ingredients.
8. Mix cornflour into a paste with a little water and stir in allowing the remaining stock to thicken.
9. Set aside and allow to cool until cool enough to go in fridge.
Several hours later or the following day....
1. Pre-heat oven to 220'C
2. Pour cold meat and vege mix into a baking dish.
3. Cover top with pastry sheets (the fancy design in the pic was created by threading strips of pastry together in a weave pattern, then adding a 'vine' and flowers), remember this is a treat so get creative and have fun with your pastry.
4. brush finish top with either an egg wash or milk
5. Cook in oven, medium shelf, until golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for approx 5 mins before cutting.
1. with a side salad
2. with some steamed vegetables
Note: I use frozen puff pastry - I just make sure I choose a brand that is the healthiest option I have available - however if you have the time or inclination to make your own then do try it it does make all the difference...